Wednesday 22 June 2016

Food starters

Well, I've been here for a few weeks, and before I get to covering some of my actual tourism activities, I figured I'd cover a few of the different local foods I've had while I'm here.

For starters, the local street-food, doubles. Two pieces of dough, wrapped around a chickpea curry, and local spices. You can get some unique stuff in them depending on where you go. Frankly, a bit difficult to eat, since it's closer to a meat-pie than a wrap, and less sturdy. So far, my experience has also been that it's a bit too greasy for my own taste.

Then, there is Roti, which is essentially doubles on steroids. Larger, with much more break-like dough and far more ingredients. It can come both in pie form and as more of curry, with the dough used as a dipper. I've much preferred roti so far, with much more variety in flavour and frankly, it tends to be a little less heavy on the grease.

Bake and Shark. Well, there's plenty of different fish and meats available, but shark is the most marketed and notable. It's actually just deep fried shark on a bun. Pick your toppings and chow down.

Tamarind balls. Sugar, Tamarind, salt, pepper and garlic in a ball. Not much like anything I've ever had before. But, frankly I can't say I care for them.

Pepper cherries. Sour cherries soaked in pepper, salt and sugar. Not a fan.


Well, that's a quick run down of some of the local delicacies. I'll be back with more as they come by me. In the mean time, I'll start to jot down some of the wandering around I've done during my time here.

J.

2 comments: